Thursday, October 6, 2011

Examining what to trim, gloves and sound system arrive

Tonight I started looking at the larger pieces of armor and peeled off the protective clear covering from the plastic.  Upon reading up on some build blogs and tutorials, I sharpened my handy Home Depot shop pencil and began tracing where I THINK I will need to trim excess material from.

(I saw THINK because being new to this and never seeing finished armor in person, I'll post my pictures to the WhiteArmor forums for feedback.)

Here's a series of pictures showing what I did this evening...

Lexan scissors, available at most hobby stores, curved for cutting plastic.


The best 49 cents you'll ever spend

Peeling off the protective clear plastic film from the abs plastic

Why trace?  Because white-on-white cutting is a bad idea.  You're trying to find the seam from the molding process to cut & clean up

Some areas, like this, will require asking more questions to fellow armor builders












Pictured below is the sound system, the AKER amplifier with built in rechargeable battery and the Imperial Communication System that provides the static burst effects.  There is a Push To Talk switch and ample cable if you wish to go that route, or without that, the voice-activated system will work.  The AKER cost $47 while the ICOMM was $95.  Extremely fast shipping, I was surprised how quickly it arrived!





The gloves are standard nomex flight gloves I bought on Amazon.Com for $27.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment